The Town of Gabaldon
During the 80’s the town was thickly forested and inhabited by wild animals. Foreigners and nature lovers frequented the place up to the 90’s with Dumagats as guides. Later, because of the scenic Sierra Madre and fertile lands, wealthy people came for ventures. They tried to convert the thickly cogonal lowland areas into fruit tree plantations such as coconuts, avocados, caimitos, papaya, citrus and many others. Vast areas with abundant supply of water were cleared and converted into rice paddies. It was during the Spanish era when the wealthy man was known to be the owner of the place strangers and businessmen sought his permission to till the land. His name was SABANI, the reason why was the place was once named SABANI. He left when the American came.
On May 10, 1920, the National Government took over the administration, thus the National Development Company (NDC) was born. It improved and developed the place primarily for rice production. Later, a certain company came to lease. The group was composed of J. Toma Cruz A. Vasquez, J. Alejandro, F. Basuega and G. Velarde. The lease lasted until 1935. The huge estate was returned to Sabani Estate Development Company. The government converted it to a homestead. Many families came as homesteaders. It was during the period when different barrios (from sitios) were created. Bitulok, now North Poblacion was the number one barrio under the Municipality of Laur, Nueva Ecija.
Sabani Estate became progressive and many settlers came to stay permanently on June 12, 1950, by virtue of R.A 496 Sabani Estate was separated from its mother town Laur, adopted the name of the leading barrio, Bitulok, and became independent municipality. In the year 1952, by virtue of R.A 956, the name Bitulok was changed to Sabani (minus estate). Sometime later, Sabani was change to Gabaldon by virtue of R.A. 1318 in honor of the late Don. Isauro Gabaldon, who was once a governor of Nueva Ecija and one time resident commissioner to Washington, D.C.